Agenda and draft minutes
Venue: Shaw House Church Road Newbury. View directions
Contact: Moira Fraser / Maria Legge
Declarations of Interest
To receive any declarations of interest from Members.
Councillors Beck, Bridgman and Webb declared a personal interest by virtue of the fact that they were acquainted with one of the objectors, Mary Bedwell, but reported that, as their interest was a personal or an other registrable interest, but not a disclosable pecuniary interest, they determined to remain to take part in the debate and vote on the matter.
Proposal: Application for Premises Licence
Location: Calcot (New Build), at the junction of Bath Road (A4) and Dorking Way, Calcot
Applicant: Marstons PLC
1. The Sub-Committee considered a report (Agenda Item 2(1)) concerning Licensing Application 17/01790/LQN in respect of Marstons PLC, Calcot (New Build), at the junction of Bath Road (A4) and Dorking Way, Calcot.
2. In accordance with the Council’s Constitution, Emilia Matheou (Licensing Officer, West Berkshire Council), Michelle Hazlewood, John McElholm, Martin Rayner (for the Applicant), PC Simon Wheeler (for Thames Valley Police as a Responsible Authority) and Mary Bedwell and Ian Savage (Objectors) addressed the Sub-Committee on this application.
3. The Chairman announced that he had been informed that some of the parties would like to provide additional information to the Sub-Committee for their consideration. Councillor Graham Bridgman noted that he had requested a map from Officers to show licensed premises in the vicinity of the application. The Chairman asked if any parties had any objections to this information being considered by the Sub-Committee. No objections were raised and a copy of the map was provided to all attendees.
4. Mrs Hazlewood apologised that she had not seen the Council’s requirement for information to be received five working days prior to the meeting of the Sub-Committee. A bundle of information had been prepared which had been circulated to residents and Thames Valley Police and submitted to the Council four working days before the meeting. She requested that the Sub-Committee consider this information, which included an updated operational plan. If the Sub-Committee were not minded to accept the information, Mrs Hazlewood requested an extension in speaking time. The Chairman asked if any parties had any objections to this information being considered by the Sub-Committee. No objections were raised and the information bundle was provided to the Sub-Committee.
5. PC Wheeler advised that he had received the applicant’s information bundle four working days before the meeting. There were some references to case law which he refuted and there were additional incidents that the police had attended. He had therefore produced a separate set of material in response and requested that this information also be considered by the Sub-Committee. The Chairman asked if any parties had any objections to this information being considered by the Sub-Committee. No objections were raised and this information bundle was also provided to the Sub-Committee.
(The meeting was adjourned between 10.15am and 10.41am for the Sub-Committee to read the additional information.)
6. The Chairman announced that in accordance 7.14.3 of the Council’s Constitution, the Sub-Committee would extend the speaking time for all parties to 12 minutes, in order to address the additional information received by the Sub-Committee.
7. Councillor Bridgman raised a technical question regarding whether the blue notices were displayed at appropriate intervals and for a sufficient period in line with the size of the proposed site. Ms Matheou confirmed that the applicant complied with the relevant requirements to advertise the application.
8. Ms Matheou, in addressing the Sub-Committee, raised the following points:
· West Berkshire Council Licensing received an application made under S17 of Licensing Act 2003 for a premises licence to be granted ... view the full minutes text for item 4.