Disability External Scrutiny Board
Purpose of committee
The Disability External Scrutiny (DES) Board was established in 2007 to provide an opportunity for disabled people within the West Berkshire area to communicate directly with the Council about the issues faced by disabled people.
The DES Board is one of a number of groups within West Berkshire, both internal and external to the Council, whose aims are to support disabled people and challenge service providers, for example by the Access Panel, Transport Forum, Home Care User Group, West Berkshire Independent Living Network, West Berkshire Disability Alliance.
The work of the Board is intended to complement that of other groups within West Berkshire and is not intended to duplicate work being undertaken elsewhere.
The aims of the Board are to:
· support West Berkshire Council in providing fair services that are compliant with current legislation;
· challenge the Council’s activities to encourage consideration of disability issues;
· help West Berkshire Council obtain best value for money;
· work directly with Councillors and Council Officers to advise on disability issues.
Notes about Membership:
· Membership is open to individuals who live in West Berkshire and who have a disability or are a carer for someone with a disability.
· The Board can agree to co-opt members with relevant personal experience.
· Membership of the Board is on a voluntary basis.
· The Disability External Scrutiny Board meets four times a year and the Board requests that members are able to commit to attending these meetings.
· All meetings are held centrally in the West Berkshire Council offices during the day.
For information on membership, please contact the DES Board Chair, Jan Rothwell, either by post at the Citizens’ Advice Bureau, Broadway House, 4?8 The Broadway, Northbrook Street, Newbury RG14 1BA or email email@example.com.
- John Carr
- Alan Fleming
- Keith Hester
- Sue Hinks
- Mick Hutchins
- Gwen Mason
- Jan Rothwell (Chairman)
- Councillor Richard Somner
Support officer: Rachel Craggs | Tel: (01635) 519441 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.