Purpose of committee
The Governance Committee usually meets about five times a year. Meetings usually take place at 5.00pm in the Council Chamber, Market Street, Newbury RG14 5LD. There are eight members elected to the Committee, as well as two co-opted, non-voting Parish Councillors.
The main roles of the Governance Committee are to: challenge and provide independent assurance on the Risk Management Framework and associated internal controls of the Council; consider and make recommendations to the Council on proposed changes to the Constitution; review the Council’s financial statements; and review the external auditors’ annual audit letter.
The Governance Committee will also be charged with: promoting and maintaining high standards of conduct by Councillors and co-opted Members; assisting Councillors and co-opted Members, to observe the Members’ Code of Conduct; advising the Council on the adoption or revision of the Members’ Code of Conduct; monitoring its operation; advising and training Councillors and co-opted Members on matters relating to the Members’ Code of Conduct; granting dispensations to Councillors and co-opted Members on requirements relating to interests; ensuring arrangements are in place under which allegations of misconduct in respect of the members’ Code of Conduct can be investigated and to review such arrangements appropriately; and to exercise the above in relation to the Parish and Town Councils in the District.
Contact: Democratic Services Team
Further information links:
- Councillor Erik Pattenden (Chairman)
- Councillor Howard Woollaston (Vice-Chairman)
- Councillor Dominic Boeck
- Councillor Jeremy Cottam
- Councillor Iain Cottingham
- Councillor Owen Jeffery
- Councillor David Marsh
- Councillor Christopher Read
- Councillor Louise Sturgess
- Simon Carey
- Bill Graham Parish Council Representative
- David Southgate Parish Council Representative
- Anne Budd (Substitute) Parish Council Representative
- Councillor Dennis Benneyworth (Substitute)
- Councillor Carolyne Culver (Substitute)
- Councillor Paul Dick (Substitute)
- Councillor Janine Lewis (Substitute)
- Councillor Stephanie Steevenson (Substitute)
Support officer: Sadie Owen (Principal Democratic Services Officer).
Legal and Democratic Services
Phone: 07824 823 893